|Year : 2022 | Volume
| Issue : 1 | Page : 1-6
History of the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College & Hospital - Part-2 ”The Golden Era of TNGDC”
K S. Gamal Abdul Nasser
Former Principal (2006-2014), The Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Date of Submission||22-Jan-2022|
|Date of Decision||18-Feb-2022|
|Date of Acceptance||18-Feb-2022|
|Date of Web Publication||14-Mar-2022|
Dr. K S. Gamal Abdul Nasser
MDS., Ph.D., 153, Secretariat Colony, Kellys, Chennai - 600 010, Tamil Nadu
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Abdul Nasser K S. History of the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College & Hospital - Part-2 ”The Golden Era of TNGDC”. SRM J Res Dent Sci 2022;13:1-6
|How to cite this URL:|
Abdul Nasser K S. History of the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College & Hospital - Part-2 ”The Golden Era of TNGDC”. SRM J Res Dent Sci [serial online] 2022 [cited 2022 Nov 26];13:1-6. Available from: https://www.srmjrds.in/text.asp?2022/13/1/1/339630
In the previous issue, we saw the first part of the article that dealt with the history of the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital from its birth till almost end of the year 2006. It was at this point that the author, Dr. K. S. Gamal Abdul Nasser, MDS, Ph. D, assumed office as the Principal, Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital. It was after this event that the institution saw remarkable progress in all aspects-academic, technical and structural.
Dr. K. S. Gamal Abdul Nasser, MDS., Ph. D, took over as Principal of the Tamil Nadu Government Dental college on 13.12. 2006 and all further developments in the matter took place rapidly after his assumption of charge.
| Origin of New Building at Fraser Bridge Road|| |
The Tamil Nadu Government Dental College had not fulfilled the basic criteria of 5 acres of land as per the Dental Council of India (DCI) Norms for 100 BDS seats and also for the MDS seats and also with independent hostel for male and female students. Therefore, the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital, sent a necessary proposal to the Government on 08.12.2000 and 04.02.2001 for the acquisition of land at Madras United Club (MUC) Ground occupied by state Transport corporation, to allot 5 acres of land for the provision of the needed infrastructure. In addition, the road level was more than that of the ground level of Muthusamy Salai Dental College cum Hospital building due to which, invariably during the Monsoon season, the roads would always be flooded with water and the water used to come inside the building.
In the meantime, the DCI increased the admission capacity for 100 seats for the 4th batch of the students with the condition that if the infrastructure facilities are not satisfied with the norms, the increased admission of BDS Students from 60 to 100 will not be considered for the subsequent years. In the year 2004, the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College sent another letter to the Director of Medical Education without Survey Number, for the provision of land, and accordingly the Director of Medical Education sent a letter to the Government for provision of the land in MUC Ground. Thereafter, the then Secretary, Health and Family Welfare Dr. N. Sundaradevan, IAS advised Dr. K. S. Gamal Abdul Nasser to pursue the matter with the District Collector, Chennai for the transfer of 2.97 acres (52 grounds 1365 Sq. Ft) of land in MUC ground.
After concrete efforts by Dr. K. S. Gamal Abdul Nasser and with the assistance of various IAS officials particularly Mr. S. Audiseshiah I. A. S, Mr. N. SundaraDevan, I. A. S, Dr. M. Rajaram., I. A. S, Mrs. Sheela Rani Chunkath I. A. S., 52 grounds 1365 Sq. ft. (2.97acres) of land belonging to Revenue Department in survey No. 10116/1 was allotted to the Medical Education Department at total cost of Rs. 16,22,48,190/- (Rupees Sixteen Crores Twenty-two lakhs forty-eight thousand one hundred and ninety only) in G. O. No 309 dt 27 04 2006 and constructed the building [Figure 1]. Out of this Mr. S. Audiseshiah IAS made it a point to allot this piece of land to the Government Dental College and Hospital. For the construction of new buildings for Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital with the extent of the 3.02 acres of land already in occupation of Tamil Nadu Government Dental College, the total extent of land available with the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College became 5.99 acres well above the DCI norms for land requirement. The additional land of 2.97 acres was allotted to Tamil Nadu Government Dental college during the Chief ministership of Hon'ble Chief minister Dr. J. Jayalalitha. The Tamil Nadu Government Dental College should ever be thankful to the above IAS officers Mr. S. Audiseshiah I. A. S, Mr. N. SundaraDevan, I. A. S, Dr. M. Rajaram., I. A. S, Mrs. Sheela Rani Chunkath I. A. S., for their timely help, and also the Director of Medical Education Dr. P. Vijayalakhshmi, MD., for her recommendation with the necessary proposal for the allotment of land.
Thereafter in G. O. No. 15, Health and Family Welfare Department., dated 18/1/2008, administrative/financial sanction for Rs. 13.66 crores was issued for the construction of new multi-storied buildings with the blessings of Dr. KalaignarM. Karunanidhi the then Chief minister. Subsequently a sum of Rs. 6.97 crores was sanctioned in G. O. Ms. No. 373 H and FW (J1) Department. dated 31.12.2010 to provide various provisions such as Four Lifts, Gas connection, Ductable A/C Units, Name Board, Well, Lawn and garden, Pavement and Drain, Generator Room, Air Compressor Room, Canteen Block, Gas Room, Generator, Audio Visual System, Stainless Steel wall panel for Operation Theatre and for other accessories.
The Government approved the building plan of stilt+ground floor+six floor with immediate target of constructing stilt floor, ground floor and first floor with a total area of 1,04,697Sq. ft (one lakh four thousand six hundred and ninety-seven Sq. ft only) With this one lakh four thousand six hundred and ninety-seven sq. ft building newly constructed, all the nine departments, pharmacy, medical stores, laboratories cannot be accomplished and hence the stilt floor was converted to medical stores, department of Periodontia, department of Paedodontia, students stores outlet and PG Prosthetics laboratory. Because of the lack of space, the senior and junior prosthetics laboratory, Crown and bridge laboratory, and conservative laboratory was positioned at the old building itself.
The announcement of 13.00 crores was made early in the budget speech on 23.04.2007 by Hon'ble Health minister Mr. KKSR. Ramachandran, for the construction of new building with administrative Block, examination Hall, lecture hall with surgical theatre (Vide D. O. No. 22495/J1/2007-1 Health dt 09 05 2007) As the new building was originally planned without the 4 lifts, an additional amount of 66 lakhs was provided and hence the sum of Rs. 13.66 crores was sanctioned in the above G. O. Ms. No. 15, Health and Family Welfare Department., dated 18/1/2008. The Tamil Nadu Government Dental College is thankful to Mr. V. K. Subbaraj IAS the then Health Secretary for immediate sanction of funds for the construction of the buildings.
| Developments at Tamil Nadu Government Dental College|| |
Based on the total extent of 5.99 acres of land (including 2.97 acres in G. O. No. 309, Revenue Department, dated 27.04.2006) and the new building that was sanctioned the following approvals were obtained.
- Permanent recognition for admission of 100 BDS seats was obtained in the year 2008. (F. No. V-12017/22/97-DE Govt. of India, Ministry of H and FW (Dental Education Section) dt 5.3.2008
- Post Graduate seats with increased admission capacity in the following specialities was also obtained in the year 2008
- Orthodontics from 4 to 6,
- Periodontics from 3 to 6,
- Oral Surgery from 4 to 6
- Conservative Dentistry from 3 to 6–vide DCI letter (No. V-12017/20/2002-DE dt 03.07.2008) and
- PG seats were increased in the department of Prosthodontics at Tamil Nadu Govt. Dental College from 2 to 6 Vide DCI letter (No. V-12017/37/2003-DE dt 4.3.2009)
- For the first time, 2 reader posts, one in public health and other posts in Pedodontics and 2 tutor posts in public health, 2 tutor posts in Paedodontia and 1 tutor post in Conservative, 1 tutor post in Oral Surgery were created in the 2011. (G. O. Ms. No. 78 H and FW Department dated 24.2.2011) in the year 2011 Tamil Nadu Government Dental College is thankful to Mr. VK. Subburaj IAS the then Health Secretary
- Three Dental Mechanics, 3 Male Nursing Assistants, and one Hospital worker on compassionate grounds were appointed
- Organization of the National Cadet Corps (N. C. C.) for the Dental Students of Tamil Nadu Govt. Dental College occurred and it is the Only Dental College in India to have the credit of N. C. C
- The Principal Secretary Health and Family Welfare department Dr. Mrs. Girija Vaidyanathan, I. A. S., made a visit to the Old and New College on 03-02-2012 and verified the infrastructure facilities and appreciated the cleanliness of the college and promised to improve the infrastructure facilities as per the new DCI norms. In addition to this, the Principal Secretary had directed to send the proposal to buy the new electrical Dental chairs immediately. The Principal Secretary along with the Director of Medical Education, Dr. Vamsadhara made a visit to the new Building also on 03-02-2012.
After 60 years, 149 Electrical chairs were being bought for a sum of Rs.1,24,75,000/ (Rupees One crore twenty four lakhs and seventy five thousand only). Vide G. O. Ms. No. 197 H and FW Department. dt 18.6.2012 in the year 2012. Sixty-five additional Electrical chairs were being bought for a sum of (Rupees Ninety Lakhs twenty six thousand three hundred and fifty three only) G .O.Ms No 288 H and FW (E1) Department dated 03.12.2013 in the year 2013. The Tamil Nadu Government Dental College is thankful to Dr. Mrs.Girija Vaidyanathan,I A.S and Dr. J. Radhakrishnan IAS, the then Health Secretaries.
- PG seats were increased in the Specialty of Oral Medicine and Radiology from 2 to 5 from the Academic Session 2013-2014 at Tamil Nadu Govt. Dental College (No. V-12017/22/54/2012-DE Government of India Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (Dental Education section) Nirman Bhavan New Delhi dated 10th April 2013).
- Ph. D was also started in the year 2012 in the Branches of Prosthodontics and Oral Medicine of Radiology at Tamil Nadu Government Dental college and Hospital. In Prosthodontics two students registered and they continued their studies.
| Other New Accessories|| |
- Fifty electrical dental chairs were purchased for Tamil Nadu Govt. Dental College (G. O. Ms. No. 218 of H and FW Department. dt 30.07.2009) in the year 2009 for a sum of Rs. 54.6 lakhs in the year 2009, The Tamil Nadu Government Dental College is thankful to Mr. VK. Subburaj IAS the then Health Secretary
- Purchase of microtome was done for Department. of Oral pathology at a cost of Rs. 6,00,000/-after 50 years (TNMSC-Tamil Nadu Medical Services Corporation-provision). Tamil Nadu Government Dental College is thankful to Dr. S. Karuthaaih Pandian IAS Managing Director, Tamil Nadu Medical Services Corporation
- Similarly 6 Electrical Dental Chairs were purchased under TNMSC Provision for the Department of Paedodontia. Tamil Nadu Government Dental College is thankful to Dr. Sandeep Saxena IAS, Managing Director, Tamil Nadu Medical Services Corporation.
| Sanction of Other Buildings|| |
- A sum of Rs. 2.40 Crores was obtained for the construction of Hostel Block over the existing second floor for the construction of 3rd, 4th and 5th floor of the PG block in G. O. Ms. No. 172 H and FW Department. dt 18.7.2011) with 2 lifts. Tamil Nadu Government Dental College is thankful to Dr. J. Radhakrishnan IAS the then Health Secretary for converting it into Ladies Hostel for Dental Students which was inaugurated by the Hon'ble Health Minister Dr. C. Vijaya Baskar on 04-03-2014.
- Construction of second floor over the existing first floor of the new building, Chennai, administrative and financial Sanction was obtained by GO Ms No 119 H & FW (E1) department dated 09-05-2014. Tamil Nadu Government Dental College is thankful to Dr. J. Radhakrishnan IAS, the then Health Secretary for issue of order
- Modification of existing ground floor which was earlier department of Orthodontics, first floor which was Department of Prosthodontics and Second floor which was Department of Periodontics, Converted into the hostel building for ladies, in Government Dental College and Hospital, Chennai, Administrative and Financial Sanction was obtained by G. O. Ms. No. 121/H and FW Department. dt 09-05-2014) and this was issued when Dr. J. RadhaKrishnan IAS was the Health Secretary
- The library in old block has also created Online Public Access catalog for the use of readers for easy search of document. The library also provides Internet search to its clientele. The Library provides good reference services to the UG and the PG students in their general study in subjects as well as in their research activities. In addition to the above, the library also provides some of the important services like Book lending service for SC students, compact disc read-only memory search service, Local Database Search service, User Assistance Service, Current Awareness service, and Referral services to its users
- The new building was constructed with 3 floors namely stilt, ground Floor and first floor with 4 lifts and a huge ramp proceeding to Operation theatre. The stilt floor has got 3316.62 Sq. m (35699.80 Sq. Ft) the ground floor has got 3280 Sq. m (35305.63 Sq. Ft) and the first floor has got 3130.05 Sq. m.(33691.58Sq. Ft) every floor has the height of 14 feet
- PG Admission started in Public Health Dentistry (No. V-12017/40/2006-DE dt23.3.2011) with one seat in the year 2011 and increased up to three in the year 2014-2015. (No.V 12017/22/54//2012 DE dt 15-04-2014).
| The Tamil Nadu Government Dental College Library|| |
The Tamil Nadu Government Dental College Library is functioning at Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital to cater for the needs of students pursuing BDS, MDS courses, and to the faculty members of the Dental College for their references and research works. The Library provides air-conditioned facility to its users. As on 30/06/2014, it had a good collection of 5766 books pertaining to dental education and its related areas, more particularly, the old books. The Library subscribes to many numbers of foreign journals and Indian journals for the use of their students and the faculty members. It has established a Book Bank for the benefit of SC/ST students. The library has a good reference collection in dentistry to meet the demands of users. It has a very good reading environment with tables and chairs for the benefit of users.
| Inauguration of the New Buildings|| |
The new building was inspected by Hon'ble Minister of Public Works Department, Mr. K. V. Ramalingam, Hon'ble Minister of Labor Mr. S. T. Chellapandian and Hon'ble Minister of Health Dr. V. S. Vijay, Dr. V. K. SubbuRaj IAS, Mr. M. F. Farooqui IAS, Mr. T. V. Antony IAS, Dr. Vijay Pingale IAS, Mr. Rajeev Ranjan IAS, Dr. S. Karuthaiah Pandian IAS, Dr. Vinayagam Director Of Medical Education, Dr. A. Parameswaren MDS Former Principal TNGDC, US Consulate Mr. Andrew Simkin, etc., so as to enable the Hon'ble Chief Minister to the inaugurate the New building.
The Entire Excellently Elevated Building was inaugurated by our Hon'ble Chief minister Selvi.. Dr.J.Jayalalitha on 03-03-2012 at 1.50 PM through video conferencing [Figure 1]. The Principal Dr. K. S. Gamal Abdul Nasser gave an elegant introductory speech in Tamil to our Hon'ble Chief minister about the number of out-patients in our college which was 326,450 in the year 2011, presence of NCC, NSS, and Red Ribbon Club was mentioned and in addition to this II year student. Ms. K. Deepthi gave an excellent presentation in English about the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College to our Hon'ble Chief Minister.
The new building has got 4 entrances, 4 staircases totally 9726.67 Sq. m. (104697. Sq. Ft) The stilt floor has Department of Periodontia, Department of Oral Pathology, Department of Public Health Dentistry, Department of Paedodontia, Prosthetic Laboratory, Telephone Exchange, Girls common Room, Main Store Room. The ground floor has the Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, Department of Medicine, Department of Prosthodontics, Department of Conservative Dentistry. The first floor has the Department of Maxillo Facial Surgery with Minor Operation Theatre, Department of Orthodontia, VIP clinic, Seminar Hall, and Office Room. The second floor has a major GA Operation Theatre, in-patient Ward, Library, College Office, Auditorium, and Principal Room.
| Shifting of Outpatient Department to the New Building|| |
From 20.9.2012, Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital outpatient Departments were shifted to the adjacent New Dental College and Hospital building located at Frazer Bridge Road as the water and Sewage connection, canteen, gas connection, ductable A/C Units, name Board, well, lawn and garden, pavement and drain, generator room, air compressor room, canteen block, gas Room, generator, audio visual system and other accessories were all provided there.
| Centre of Excellence in Dentistry|| |
Based on the performance of the only one Government Dental College, the then Hon'ble Chief minister Selvi.. Dr. J. Jayalalitha has made the Statement under Rule 110 of Tamil Nadu Assembly Secretariat Rules on 20-04-2012 to establish the ”CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE IN DENTISTRY” at the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College at a cost of a sum of Rs. 10 crores for the development of infrastructure, creation of new posts, buying of latest equipment and thereby the public and the students will be largely benefitted. vide GO. Ms. No. 307 H and FW department dated 31/10/2012.
The break up of sanction is that
- Rs. 1.51 crores for Equipment and E-Library
- Rs. 2.48 Crores for increase in 27 Dental teaching posts, 3 Medical teaching posts and 2 Medical Record Technicians.
- Rs. 6.01 Crores for second floor over the existing Building for Operation theatre, ward, library students Audiortium and College office and the like, to cope up with the increase PG seats from 35 to 54.
Following the declaration of the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College as the Centre of Excellence by the Hon'ble Chief Minister Dr.J.Jayalalitha, creation of 32 new posts were made.
- One Professor of Paedodontics
- 19 Readers in various branches
(3 in Prosthodontics, 3 in Conservative Dentistry, 3 in Oral Surgery, 3 in Periodontics, 3 in Orthodontics, 2 in Oral Medicine, 2 in Oral Pathology)
- Seven Assistant Professors in various Specialties (2 Lecturers in Oral Pathology, 2 Lecturers in Periodontia, 2 Lecturers in Orthodontia, 1 Lecturer in Oral Medicine in Dentistry)
- Three Assistant Professors in various Specialties (One Asst. Professor of Medicine, Asst. Professor of Surgery, Asst. Professor of Anesthesia)
- Two Medical Record Technicians were also ordered.
| Diamond Jubilee Celebrations/Platinum Jubilee Celebrations|| |
The celebrations of the Diamond jubilee were carried out with pomp and splendor. Under the chairmanship of the Principal Dr. K. S. Gamal Abdul Nasser, an organizing committee consists of Dr. Sainath, Dr. S. Premkumar, Dr. Aswath Narayanan, Dr. Rup Kumar, Dr. M. Kavitha and Dr. Kanmani was formed. The entire function was anchored by Dr. Kanmani.
The following events had been scheduled:
- Week long Student Dental Show
- The school children's thesis, debate, paint, and smile competitions
- About 1000 school kids visited the show daily.
On 10th August the Diamond Jubilee celebration was inaugurated by the Health Secretary Dr. J. Radhakrishnan IAS along with Director of Medical Education and Dean, Madras Medical college Dr. V. KanakaSabai MD. Many Senior professors viz Prof. Dr. DC. Miglani, Dr. JD. Diaz, Prof. Dr. CK. Dhanasekaran, Prof. Dr. S. Rangachari, Prof. Dr. R. Viswanathan, Prof. Dr. A. Parameswaran, Prof. Dr. AleemAbdullah, Prof. Dr. C. S. Prasad, Prof. Dr. N. Gnanasundaram, Prof. Dr. B. KhaleelAhamath, Prof. Dr. C. Kumaravelu, Lt. Gen. Dr. Murali Mohan Dr. K. Natarajan BDS, Sankara Hospital of Tiruppur, Prof. Dr. CV SubbaRao, Prof. Dr. Farahathullah Baig and lot of old students graced the function. In the function, the Health Secretary Dr. J. Radhakrishnan IAS requested to continue the Dental Check up and Continuing dental Education programmes for a period of 1 year. Dr. N. Gnanasundaram spoke in Tamil and described that Dr. Nasser's tenure was a golden period because of the various positive developments at the college. An endowment was created with a total sum of Rs. 50,000/-(with the contribution of Rs. 20,000/-from Dr. K. Natarajan BDS, Tiruppur and Rs.30,000/ by Dr.Nasser) and deposited in IOB, Kilpauk for the use of giving away award to the student / students who gets 2nd rank in BDS.
On the valedictory day 14-08-2013 The Honorable Minister of Health Mr. K. C. Veeramani, Secretary for Health and Family Welfare, Govt of Tamilnadu, Dr. J. Radhakrishnan IAS, Director of Medical Education and Dean, Madras Medical College Dr. V. KanakaSabaiMD, attended the grand finale of the Diamond jubilee meeting.
A high-quality ORNATE '13 Multicolor magazine was also issued along with a DVD. The magazine was arranged in such a way that three sections consisted of silver, golden and diamond. Silver section held documents, photos and events from the beginning year until the 25th year; 26th through 50th year Golden section and 51st to 60th year Diamond section. The Journal Ornate 13 and school children's work was handled by Dr. S. Prem Kumar.
Special cover with stamp cancellation was released on 14.08.2013. Mr. Merwin Alexander, IPoS released the Stamp of Tamil Nadu Government Dental college to the Hon'ble Minister Mr. K. C. Veeramani, in the presence of all the Dignitaries.
During the diamond Jubilee celebrations various competitions including Poetry writing, slogan writing, Drawing, Photographic and oratorical in tamil and english were conducted for school students. The participants were divided in two categories, based on the dentistry criteria prizes to the both the category of students were given away by the Chief Guest Honorable Minister of Health Mr. K. C. Veeramani.
Dental quiz was also conducted. A public exhibition was conducted with charts and live models. Each and every department arranged their exhibits with valuable inputs. At the end of exhibition, spot quiz was conducted for student. A puppet show on awareness about dentistry to public was also organized.
Another milestone event was the First Post graduate scientific convention in the south zone to commemorate the jubilee celebration. Postgraduate students from Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala, from all dental specialties, participated in large numbers.
The Honorable Minister of Health Mr. K. C. Veeramani, Secretary for Health and Family Welfare, Govt of Tamil Nadu, Dr. J. Radhakrishnan IAS, Post Master General, Chennai, Mr. Merwin Alexander, IPoS, Director of Medical Education and Dean of Madras Medical College, Dr. V. Kanagasabai, MD., graced the grand finale of the diamond jubilee meeting on August 14, 2013. Prizes were presented to the student winners in various competitions.
| The Important Issues Which Remain to be Attended by my Successors Which Dr. K. S. Gamal Abdul Nasser Could Not Complete|| |
As a Single person I, Dr. K. S. Gamal Abdul Nasser increased the Land of 2.97Acres to 5.99Acres and constructed 1,38,388 Sq. Ft (12,856Sq. m) and completed my dream to the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital. I also made all the efforts to modify the Ladies hostel and made the ladies students live peacefully with full comforts as most of the students of this college are girls from different places of Tamil Nadu and India. The things which I could not complete are the following:
- The old building of the Tamil Nadu government Dental college needs to be converted as Male Students Hostel
- Over the existing 2nd floor construction of 4 more floors are essential to accommodate for all the Lecture classes cum Pre clinical Prosthodontics laboratory, Preclinical Conservative laboratory, Preclinical Orthodontics/Pedodontics, Crown and Bridge Laboratory, Cobalt chrome laboratory, Clinical Lab for Prosthodontics, Oral Biology and Oral Pathology lab, maintenance room, Photography and Artist room, Amenities room for boys and girls, boys and girls locker rooms, boys and girls common room, common room for nonteaching staff, common room for teaching staff, change rooms for men and women, assembly hall, examination hall, minimum 4 Lecture halls for BDS, HOD's room, Readers room, Lecturers room, stores for Medical record, Computer and Internet lab, comprehensive health care, teleconferencing and photography, surgical store, medical Store, indoor games, audio visual room, library for Post graduate students and steam Laundry have to be included in the New Building to fulfill the norms or DCI. All these additional infrastructure can be accommodated in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th floor of the new building in the 12520 Sq. metre (134764.16Sq. ft)
- MDS (Paedodontics) course needs to be started
- The total PG seats need to be increased from 45 to 54 as per the Government Orders. The Departments Of (i) Prosthetics (ii) Orthodontics, (iii) Periodontics, (iv) Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and (v) Conservative Dental Surgery needs a total of 40 seats at the rate of 8 seats per department. The departments of Oral Medicine and Radiology needs a total of 5 seats. The departments of (i) Oral Pathology (ii) Public Health Dentistry (iii) Paedodontics need a total of 9 seats at the rate of 3 seats for each departments.
| Conclusion|| |
The Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital as a Centre of Excellence in Dentistry is endowed with the right environment for the students to expand their theoretical and practical knowledge to enable them to take up their career pursuits and face challenges of the future with confidence. It is our endeavor to continue to excel further to the cause of the service of the dentistry and bring laurels to this great Institution.
I thank the entire team of the faculty members and staff of this institution for their unstinted support throughout my tenure.
My sincere thanks and respects are also due particularly to Professors, Prof. Dr. C. K. Dhanasekaran, Prof. Dr. S. Rangachari, Prof. Dr. R. Viswanathan and Prof. Dr.E.G.R. Solomon for their inputs on the genesis of the Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital. My sincere thanks and respects is also due to Dr. S. Karuthaiah Pandian IAS, for his help in article writing.
Financial support and sponsorship
Conflicts of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.